RAF Charmy Down opened in late 1940 with grass runways,
but it soon gained a 50ft peritrack
(some of which is still visible) plus 39 aircraft dispersal points,
(12 double pens,15 single standings & 12 blister hangers).
Although land drainage was good, three hard surface runways were laid in 1941.
The first unit to move to Charmy Down was 87 Sqn with their nightfighter Hurricanes.
Boulton Paul Defiants arrived in the summer of 1941,
with Westland Whirlwinds & Turbinlite Boston Havocs following in 1942.
A Supermarine Spitfire OTU took over in 1943
& stayed until the USAAF took over.
Service groups of the 4th Tactical Air Depot,9th Air Force arrived in late 1943 for repair & maintenance of Mustang & Lightning Fighters,but this operation transferred to Kingston Bagpuize early in 1944,although 9th AF Service Command stayed until the autumn of 1944.
Personnel of the 422nd Nightfighter Sqn arrived in March 1944 to await their P61 Black Widows. They were joined in April by personnel of the 423rd Nightfighter Sqn,and in May,425th Nightfighter Sqn personnel also arrived although no Black Widows were ever based at Charmy Down.
All three Sqns had left for RAF Scorton by June 1944.
In the Spring of 1944,the 9th Troop Carrier Service Wing moved to Charmy Down in support of troop carrier operations in Southwest England,but they only stayed until September 1944.
The station was also used as a base for clandestine operations over occupied Europe during this period.
The rest of the 9th Air Force Service Command had left Charmy Down by October 1944.
The RAF moved back in and continued to use Charmy Down for Advanced Pilot Training on Airspeed Oxfords up until the end of WW2.
There was very little flying after WW2, and this illustrious station finally closed for good in 1946.
(Photos taken July 2008).